bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Story content and audience I have an idea for a novel however I don't know if it is possible as the story line is very controversial and being young I write in a very immature style. This - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I have an idea for a novel however I don't know if it is possible as the story line is very controversial and being young I write in a very immature style. This would make the novel very conflicting.
I want to know if people think I should try it anyway and edit it later or just make a note of key ideas and write it all at a later date.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Write it anyway. Most authors have to write a few books before they publish one. Don't think your idea is going to be your one and only idea ever. Some of my published work I have rewritten entire large set-piece scenes over THIRTY times before I liked them.

So you might as well get the first draft out of the way; or at least write your big scenes, if you can write out of order (I do, all the time).

Actually writing it out is a way to "debug" your story and see if you have problems to solve. I often think of this as writing something awful that needs to be fixed! Or I sit down at the keyboard and tell myself, "Okay, let's fail at writing this confrontation." Then afterwards, "Yep, that blows. What is the worst thing wrong with it?"

That may sound weird but it works for me; and it might work for you. Take the pressure off; you aren't writing a masterpiece, you just need something that gives you a direction for research and refinement.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Write your book now, and don't worry about selling it until after it's finished. By the time you finish it, you will be older anyway. And even if you never publish it, it will still be good practice. There's always a good reason not to write any given book at any given time, so sometimes you just have to jump in and write anyway.

If it still seems like a good book idea to you in a few years, you can always rewrite it then. But even if you've moved on from the idea, you'll have learned some valuable things from the process of writing it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is no substitute for practice. Start working on something that inspires you. If you change your mind, you can always switch to something else, but you'll have the benefit of some experience.

Load Full (0)