bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Not enough real world experience to write convincing situations? I'm faced with a writing dilemma where every real life situation I've tried to write feels forced/inaccurate. I'm a fairly young - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In my experience, you write best what you love most. If you love people, you write good characters. If you love conversation, you write good dialog; if you love to observe, you write good settings and descriptions; if you love stories, you write good plots.

I can see two possible ways forward for you. First, you could refocus your writing on own existing experiences and/or interests. Compelling books have been written about young protagonists with limited and/or stunted experiences of the larger world (Room, A Secret Garden, Catcher in the Rye, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, To Kill a Mockingbird), even if most of those still have the larger world in the background. And if plot and dialog aren't your strengths, maybe you should try non-fiction, or poetry.

Second, you can try to live a bit more, and also "love" a bit more. By living more, I mean things like traveling, if you can, making new friendships, going on blind dates --things that will put a few more experiences in the hopper. By "loving" more, I mean putting more focused attention into the areas that you are weak in. For instance, since I'm not great with descriptions, I sometimes spend time trying to carefully observe a particular setting with loving attention to details. Otherwise, I know my descriptions will be as fuzzy as my usual careless observations of given places. Maybe you can do the same with whatever part of your writing is ringing false.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best