bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Describing a sport in a fantasy setting In one scene in my YA fantasy my characters are at a party on a beach. One piece of the setting is a group of teenagers playing a game, which my - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The general answer to questions of this type, is that you should know all the details of the sport, but only the ones that serve the story should make it onto the page (advice adapted from Sturgeon, via Delany).

If you don't know all the details, your world will feel thinly imagined, and the reader will read the scene and think "wow, elf volleyball, lame" But if you stuff all the details into the story, it will ruin the story's flow and feel self-indulgent.

If you know all the details, you can drop the relevant ones in as needed, and it will give the sense of a larger, more fully realized world off camera. This also raises the possiblity that something you might not have thought of as important when it was just elf volleyball becomes signficant when it's actually the ancient sport of Ken' Da-rah.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best