bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Character feelings? I have 2 characters that I want to have a romantic tension with. The feelings are unrequited. Can I have it so that 1 chapter basically introduces and then ends the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Speaking as a reader, I find it frustrating when a romance is introduced and then just dropped. Like Chekhov's gun, don't leave it on the table if you aren't going to fire it, and don't set it up if you don't want to sustain it.

However, this doesn't mean that the characters have to actually get together. There's a lot of ways romantic tension can enrich a story beyond the obvious. Some possibilities are: A crush that turns into a friendship or other platonic relationship (Luke & Leia in Star Wars); a way to show the main character outgrowing an immature or unworkable attachment (Almost Famous); a object of affection that is revealed to be a terrible or deceitful match (Hans in Frozen); a placeholder for, or obstacle to a forthcoming real relationship (Rosaline in Romeo & Juliet, Viktor Krum in Harry Potter); a sustained unrequited or unconsummated love (the main characters in Remains of the Day).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best