bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to be mindful of the reader when handling disturbing/distressing subjects? I’m attempting to write some ‘difficult to read’ scenes such as violence, rape, trauma, etc. And I’m not talking - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak on my experiences growing up and what I have dealt with in my life (in the realm of abuse and bullying). Write it the way you vision it. Write it the way it is meant to be said. Topics like this ARE uncomfortable. Topics like this when brought up in writing are meant to allow people to feel what it is like to be in these situations. Sugarcoating it, reducing the reality of it, is not doing justice to the people who survive these situations every day. What ever uncomfortable feelings the reader may have hardly compares to what it is like to live that life daily for years.

You should however, provide a trigger warning preface. It should be well known that the materials are going to be uncomfortable and may not be appropriate for those who suffer from PTSD in the realm of abuse.

Obviously though, with any form of gore, violence and other matters, it shouldn't be done up for the sake of having a super dark scene. It should be accurate and realistic.

So bottom line is, I say draft it the way you intend for it to be written without fears of it being "too much". See how the story sounds first. Personally, I think we need more books like this that give a REALISTIC view of the matters and not something minimized, or over dramatized for the sake of a horror or TV show.

Do everyone justice and be real with it. Maybe then, people will get an idea of what it is like, and be willing to help solve/reduce a problem widely swept under the rug.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best