bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Does adding an indefinite article in this sentence hurt the flow, or does it improve clarity? To me, it sounds fine to say "She wore a black shirt and red skirt", without the indefinite article - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

To me, it sounds fine to say "She wore a black shirt and red skirt", without the indefinite article before "red skirt".

However, in "She wore a black shirt and red skirt revealing slim legs", I worry that the lack of an indefinite article makes it sound as though both the shirt and the skirt are revealing slim legs, rather than just the skirt. On the other hand, adding the indefinite article makes it sound a bit cumbersome.

Should I include an indefinite article?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would say "yes" to the headline question and the one in the post. It would possibly do both - improve the clarity and hurt the flow.

I'd go for a comma. "She wore a black shirt, and a red skirt revealing slim legs." That way the reader knows where to pause.

[Opinions differ on the serial (Oxford) comma. I've always been a big fan of it myself but my parents, Margaret Thatcher and Batman always advised against it.]

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In the second case, yes add it. It would make it more clear. In general, if you detect ambiguity, eliminate it, clarity trumps all else.

Load Full (0)