bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to make a statement formulated like an exclamation, but even-toned? In writing, particularly writing dialogue or speech-like prose, it is custom to use the punctuation to indicate the tone - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

In writing, particularly writing dialogue or speech-like prose, it is custom to use the punctuation to indicate the tone of the speech.

As such, one often uses an exclamation point on a standard statement which would make it a statement made with an exclamatory tone, i.e. an exclamatory statement.

Now, what about an exclamation punctuated with a full stop? Instead of shouting

"Boy, was I wrong!", hands in the air

you say

"Boy, was I wrong.", even-toned

or with an ellipsis

"Boy, was I wrong...", lowering your tone and shaking your head.

I have an inkling that all those are grammatically correct, but let's say I am writing an article, trying to engage my reader as if I would be talking directly to him. Are there cases where it would be frowned upon using something like that? Should I prefer using an exclamation point in every case, or try to reformulate the statement?

Clarification:
There seems to have some confusion on my intent. I don't want to sound exclamative, but the way I structure my sentence, with an interrogative word at the beginning and the sentence not being a question would point to the sentence being an exclamation, which by definition comes with an exclamation point. That's what prompted me to ask in the first place.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Mendez196

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You are never required to use an exclamation point. Exclamation points are always optional. (You are never required to use an exclamation point! Exclamation points are always optional!) You are correct, however, that there are some sentences that exclamation points will make less ambiguous. If you don't feel right using an exclamation point in those situations, you may want to rethink use of that phrase, since you are using it as an exclamation, even if you don't punctuate it that way.

Personally I think a certain amount of conveying tone through punctuation is acceptable even in formal writing. However, it should be extremely sparing. In general, you never want your punctuation to call attention to itself, it should be almost invisible in the service of meaning.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Stop trying to save characters typed. You can characterize the tone of the sentence with another entire sentence even longer than the uttered words.

Bill closed his eyes for a moment, his lips tightly compressed. "Boy, was I wrong."
Bill looked to Cindy, his eyes wide and lips parted in elation, transforming into a wide grin as he realized the full implications of what had just happened. "Boy, was I wrong."

Don't try to make punctuation do so much work for you. If you can describe or indicate what the character speaking is feeling, the reader will do the work of imparting the correct matching tone and volume to their spoken words.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

are there cases where it would be frowned
upon using something like that?

Not that I'm aware of. If you are talking directly to your reader, there is a big chance you are already using a colloquial tone. "Boy, was I wrong!" isn't much more informal than "Boy, was I wrong."; there is barely a difference.

Should I prefer using an exclamation point in every case, or try to
reformulate the statement?

It's up to you to decide the style. I wouldn't use them in a formal or scientific article, but otherwise they are fine. If you feel that exclamations are a good fit to get your point across, you probably should use them.

Personally I'd rather avoid them, but it's a matter of taste. There may be cases where you may want your reader to read the sentence with an higher tone, but on a more general basis I'd use italics to emphasize the test. So, "Boy, was I wrong." works for me more than "Boy, was I wrong!" and doesn't risk seeming too childish while staying colloquial.

But then again, this is just me.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think the answer is one of moderation and letting the reader know what you would
feel. Trust your instincts. At times you must use an exclamation point to share or show strong emotion. However, if you repeatedly use exclamatory phrases the work becomes tedious and pedestrian. Moderation and instinct should be your watchwords.

Load Full (0)