logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What is Third Person Dramatic? Often told as "Third Person Objective" or "Third Person Camera" it is some kind of mixture between cinema and writing. (Crazy stuff, I know.) What is this Third

Gloria285 @Gloria285

Posted in: #Narrator

Often told as "Third Person Objective" or "Third Person Camera" it is some kind of mixture between cinema and writing. (Crazy stuff, I know.)

What is this Third Person Dramatic?
What are his pros and cons?
And how to keep up with it without doing anything stupid? like escaping from this kind of narrator by accident.
OPTIONAL: Give examples and/or books with this kind of narrator.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Holmes449

Holmes449 @Holmes449

No, "dramatic" means you show only actions, you do not describe anybody's thoughts or feelings.

It is related to movies/TV/Plays in that on screen you only see acting, (other than rare exceptions) no narrator tells you Jack is hurt, or angry, or surprised.

3rd person is a standard narrator, Dramatic means the narrator is not omniscient and does not know what the characters are feeling or thinking or their intent or good or evil nature. Such things are only revealed by action or dialogue.

Pros and Cons: It is more difficult to write and get the story across and build character sympathy or identification; the reader never knows for sure of motivations of characters.

I don't know what the pros are, it might be what you lean toward, it keeps you from taking short cuts by just telling us what people think or feel, it may feel more realistic or immersive, like watching a movie.

I don't use it, I use third person limited (the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of ONE person in the story, all other characters are presented only in action and their dialogue). For the reader, this is more like being the MC.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme