bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I write a novel if I haven't read many? I have heard people telling that they have read so many books and have a mini library at their houses. I did not read many books (I am 17 - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, what you're aiming for.

Some people write simply because they enjoy it. Their stories don't need to meet any criteria other than being fun to write. Other people don't need to like them. They don't need to be "good" by literature critic's standards. If this is why you write, don't let any ideas about what a writer should be like hold you back.

Some people write because they want to be part of a community. They might write fan fiction or something similar. To them, it's not important to appeal to everybody, but it is important that their stories get read by a very specific target audience. They don't need the approval of critics or the New York Times, but simply by their friends, their family, their community or the rest of the Harry Potter fanbase. They don't want or need to earn money with their stories and they would rather publish them on a fanfiction site or forum for others to read. If this is why you write, then I personally don't think you need to follow writing advice unless you want to.

Some people write because they want to get better at writing. They don't need an audience that swoons about their great stories, they want an audience that points out the flaws in their writing and helps them get better. If this is you, remember that you can only get better if you actually listen to advice. If reading is impossible for you right now, it might be holding you back at improving.

Some people write because they want to earn money with it, they want to get published or want to be famous/good writers. To these people, it's important that they appeal to a wide audience. It's important to get better and improve their writing. It's important to adapt a professional attitude when it comes to writing. If this is you, then yes, you should follow the general advice that is given to people who want to become writers. However, don't stop writing just because you need to read more. Write and read.

Most writers are a combination of the above and things that I didn't list. Most writers will probably also have trouble to shut down their inner critic, even if they decide they just want to write for fun. But in any case, I think it's important for you to figure out your motivation to write and then adapt the appropriate mindset. If you want to write for fun, don't stop because others tell you you aren't doing it properly.

Also, I believe that even professional writers need to just write for fun sometimes. After all, how else would they learn how to write? You don't need to do everything perfectly right from the beginning. In the long term, if you want to be professional, that will require a lot of reading. But for now, you can just have fun exploring the world of writing and figuring everything out as you go.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best