logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How does web page writing differ from blog and article writing? Yesterday I was talking with a client and he asked me to write web page content. I told him that I can write blogs and articles.

Berryessa137 @Berryessa137

Posted in: #ContentStrategy #CreativeWriting #TechnicalWriting

Yesterday I was talking with a client and he asked me to write web page content. I told him that I can write blogs and articles.

He suggesed that I should learn web page writing, but I searched on Google for one day and I'm not able to find the exact difference between them. How does web page writing differ from blog and article writing?

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Odierno164

Odierno164 @Odierno164

There is another consideration: your client may be referring to inverted-pyramid writing. Front-load crucial data and answers in order to grab the reader quickly, to aide the reader in scanning for data, and to help gain and keep better SEO rankings.

Or in older-school, journalistic writing terms: avoid burying the lede.

In article or blog writing, it can be appropriate to use the more traditional introduction-exposition-conclusion format, which is aimed and suited to printed out out in which you reward the reader for their diligence reading through your piece by giving them the conclusion or climax at the end of building the case for it through your exposition.

Moreover, in website writing and modern technical writing, we tend to use active voice, short declarative sentences, and imperative voice for directions.

Me, I'd ask the client for clarification.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Vandalay250

Vandalay250 @Vandalay250

Everything FraEnrico said : It's about professional rather than personal, an informational style rather than a viewpoint. While blogs and articles can be considered web page content, they are not the only type.

It sounds like your client already has an idea of the sort of things he wants, though I understand that you might not have wanted to give him the impression you didn't know what he meant. I find the question "Can you give me an example of the sort of thing you had in mind?" particularly useful when dealing with customer expectations - we might agree on what we think he means, but with clients this might not be the same as their understanding of what they believe they have asked.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Connie138

Connie138 @Connie138

It seems that what your client wants is "content management", or more specifically, "copywriting".

It differs from blog writing and articles, because it's generally shorter and more to-the-point. It aims to convey a specific information about what the site has to offer. For example, a description of products, of services, or short texts that need to attract or guide the user. It supports the function of the website.

A blog and an article are generally more free-form, and with a personal touch both in the ideas and in the style. A "copy" can be stilish and fancy, of course, but the purpose is not to express the author's point of view or feelings, but rather a specific message in line with the website's offering.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme