bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I use my legal name as the protagonist if I'm pitching my book to traditional publishers under a pen name? Can I use my legal name as the protagonist if I'm pitching my book to traditional - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You could, but shouldn't be surprised if people think it is autobiography or an indication of a personality defect. If you don't want to carry the baggage, then choose another name. They don't matter much in the end. Like everyone else I fail to see what your story gains. Maybe an Easter egg? But also a lot of questions during the working process that get in the way of your goal: publishing a book.

People may also think you are trying to break the 4th wall; and there's only one story I know of that has successfully done that with abandon, and it does not involve inserting it's creator (Deadpool). Spoiler! Steven King intentionally breaks the fourth wall and writes a version of himself into the story, and many readers call this the last straw of his missteps in that series. (And he's written a lot of books and had strength of a personality cult; still failed in some regards)

The answer is that you can, but should not without an extraordinary reason. If you think you have that reason, you are probably wrong; and since you are asking you likely know this deep down. So here: you have permission to tell yourself no.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best