bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a Super Intelligent AI Something I have been thinking about recently is how to write a character who is an artificial intelligence and not have him feel human. Specifically an AI who - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are a lot of good answers here, although many of them dance around your question. To answer it directly, the first question you have to answer is what motivates an AI.

If an AI has all the same motivations a human does (which I'm going to assume you are familiar with), then that AI will behave almost exactly like a human (except with better results due to reasons given elsewhere).

If the AI has a a different set of values than humans (say, it values only paperclips), then it will behave drastically different. If you want to write a convincing AI character (that doesn't just seem superhuman), you have to decide what motivates that AI, and then decide what you would do if that was your sole motivation.

Someone else recommended Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom, and I second that advice. A few of the chapters lay out what a super intelligence motivated by paperclips might do, and that will be a good foundation for thinking about other motivations.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best