bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I am searching for a word/name that fits a person that has the ability to swap bodies with another human Not to be confused with a person who can morph themselves into someone else or a - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

Not to be confused with a person who can morph themselves into someone else or a creature by will, but someone who has an ability to body swap - without necessarily having control over it. I am writing a short fiction story and I am looking for acceptable sounding names/words to describe this action and the scientific name for body swapping. I have come across Changeling, Morphling, and Automorphic but all of these suggest a way of having control over of changing one's own physical appearance. I am looking for something more specific to the actual switching of bodies.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions. I went with a different direction. I did some research and made up a name and origin to fit my needs for this story. I can't post what I went with because I made it up myself and this story is not finished. But this is the research I used----
Name origin: Latin - Vicarius; substitute, proxy, to live through another. Origin: Nordic/Gaelic folklore. Derived from Scandinavian Changelings and the Seilie Court (Scottish Faries).

I would like to close this post as I have found my answer but I can't figure out how.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is one Latin book from 1670s, Speculum carmelitanum, that calls this "corporislatro", thief-of-the-body.

Although the Latin name is ugly, perhaps "body thief" would catch up.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Why not just go with 'Switcher'

Or maybe 'Jumper'

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't think that there is a real word for this. I would use "swapper."

I chose swapper over a number of alternatives. The closest one, to me, is "jumper."

However, a swapper, to me, jumps to a new body and that body's mind jumps to the former body. Notice that the normal person's mind is now stuck in this body forever, unless he can find and force the swapper to put him back.

A jumper, on the other hand, feels like it would jump to another body and one of two things would happen: the old body would just drop dead because it has no consciousness, or the original consciousness would "wake up" (maybe not immediately) and take over it's original body again. It would depend of if the jumper destroys the consciousness or suppresses it.

I am trying to remember the book in which a group of swappers existed. I believe it was in the Wild Cards series. These swappers were eventually captured and forced to put people right again. Then they were put into old/sickly bodies and put in a prison farther away from people than the range of their power.

Load Full (0)