bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I disagree that those three principles don't apply to your story. I think you (we) need to understand your (our) story fairly deeply. Have you identified themes? Example: For a future story, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I disagree that those three principles don't apply to your story.

I think you (we) need to understand your (our) story fairly deeply. Have you identified themes?

Example: For a future story, I hope to write about a society falling apart due to drug abuse. (I'm writing in the fantasy genre.) My theme might be addictions, or perseverance, or community. Or all three, or a more developed and nuanced version of any of those. I'll know it better when I get to that book and see what happens in it.

An eternal principle about community might be something as simple as "Strength in numbers." And the opening sentence could be ... off the top of my head -

Oscar stood in front of rehab, addiction screaming to run, but he'd never destroy this demon on his own.

I'd advise you to find your themes.

If you don't like that approach, or eternal principle, you can try the same setup but use paired opposites.

The drug took him to the heights of ecstasy and the depths of perdition.

Or a simple statement of fact.

Oscar was an addict.

All of these opening lines could work. Each is a promise to the reader as to what sorts of things are the moving forces in the story.

It sounds as though you've got loads of possibilities for your opening line. Have you tested them on readers? Do that. There are websites where you can get feedback. You will find that what works for one person does not work for another. And, your choice will depend on genre too.

Also, people are diverse. I think it is a mistake to go too deeply 'left hemisphere' in these efforts (but I think the exercise you're doing is a good one and I do them too). I think you can end up with a story that is less unique and more like the others. It might sell better - but you might be missing the very people that would have enjoyed the story that started with the line you felt organically should start your story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best