bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I don't know whether you use different terms in the USA, but as I understand it, here in the UK, there are five different routes to publishing, briefly: Traditional publishing, where you have - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't know whether you use different terms in the USA, but as I understand it, here in the UK, there are five different routes to publishing, briefly:

Traditional publishing, where you have gone through the agent and in-house editor submission process and signed a contract with a publishing house for an advance and royalties. The publishing house handles all routes to market from hardback to digital.

Hybrid publishing, this is a convoluted area with a variety of options, where the author wants to retain certain rights (particularly digital) but wants the assistance of a traditional publisher to handle print runs and get them into libraries, book stores, reviews and competitions not usually open to a self-published author. Many authors with a proven track record as an indie author now sign deals with traditional publishing houses for print only while retaining their digital rights.

Vanity publishing, where you pay someone to publish for you. So they handle your print and digital releases but you've fronted the costs.

Indie Publishing, this term is interchanged with self-publishing but generally independent authors do everything a publishing house would do, only they pay for it themselves. So, they'll hire an editor, cover designer, PR, and maybe even a small press for print runs (depending on the costs of each print-on-demand service). More and more authors are doing this now, even turning down traditional deals because they realise they can do everything a publishing house does without giving away 90% of their profits and 15% of that remaining 10% to an agent.

Self-publishing, where you do everything yourself, you edit, design the cover and upload your book to a print-on-demand service. But this term is interchanged with indie publishing and most people wouldn't even be aware of any distinction.

Hope this helps.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best