bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How much time do you find you have to commit to daily writing to see results? I've wanted to publish a book for a long time (since I was 10 or 11), but never bothered to do any serious - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

how do you stay on target if you can only make those sessions short?

I don't have a work schedule that allows me to write daily. More often than not, I can have one afternoon in a week when I can really sit down and write. I suppose I could carve about half an hour daily... but then I'd have to stop just as I start getting in the flow which is far more frustrating for me.

I suppose you should ask yourself if you can get in the flow fast enough with short sessions, and discover by yourself the minimum time you need . For example, anything less than one hour is pointless for me. I spend the time stressing out because I must write fast, it takes longer to get in the flow, and when I'm finally writing smoothly it's time to stop. One hour is not ideal, because it will interrupt my workflow when it's at its best, but at least I don't feel pressured by time.

What works best for you, personally?

However, I kind of write daily... just not in paper. I can spend the entire week mentally writing a scene. I'll go through it so many times, adjusting actions, words, trying out the PoV of the different characters to make sure everything is perfectly in character, experimenting with what-if scenarios, jotting down snippets of dialogue that are just perfect... When my writing day finally comes and I get to sit down for four or five hours, it'll be a nearly perfect scene.

Could such an approach work for you?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Rivera824

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best