bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing an ace/aro character? In a fantasy series that I’ve been working on for some time now, there is a character that I’ve always kind of seen as not having sexual or romantic attraction. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Why is it important that the reader know this fact about this character? This isn't just a rhetorical or a frame challenge question. If it's going to make it into the book, it needs to be for some reason, and what that reason is will determine how it is presented.

(a) This is an important and recognized identity for this culture and world: And why not? You're making up this world. Perhaps it has its own role and term for what contemporary culture is now calling "ace/aro." For instance, in many places and times, being (officially) asexual has been an important part of the identity of a monk or priest.
(b) It adds diversity to the cast. I think this is a great reason, but not one that demands a label. Just depict your character living a fulfilled life without a romantic partner.
(c) Learning/accepting this identity is part of this character's story arc: This is probably the most organic and interesting way to approach this. Again, however, it doesn't require a label, unless (a) also applies.

"Ace/aro" is a conceptual shorthand that has been adopted in some segments of contemporary society to quickly and clearly convey a range of complex ideas, as contextualized by modern conceptions of human sexuality. It probably doesn't make sense to use that shorthand in a different setting. However, that doesn't mean the underlying issues and conditions won't exist.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best