bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is concurrent first person / third person usage absolutely unacceptable? Background: My understanding about first person / third person is this: choose a voice and maintain it throughout the piece. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Background: My understanding about first person / third person is this: choose a voice and maintain it throughout the piece. However, when writing marketing-type information, I find myself switching back and forth between 1st ("we", "our") and 3rd ("ABC Organization", "The Organization"). I like to use 1st person because it feels personal and informal, but using third person allows me to (a) avoid sounding like I am bragging[1], (b) reconnect the reader with our name, and (c) speak about our historical activities -- the "we" now were not part of the "we" in 1980. (When I do this, I don't ever call the organization "it" and then switch back to "we" or "our")

The question is: Is it absolutely unacceptable to do this? Is this a matter of opinion, or a generally accepted rule among writers?

Examples:

ABC is in the process of expanding our monitoring and evaluation plan.
ABC is a relief and development organization established in 1973. Our mission is to...

[1] Saying "we do this awesome thing" and "we completed this awesome project" too often conveys an arrogant mentality.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

While I'm usually fanatic about number agreement (like not using "they" as a gender-netural third-person-singular pronoun in English), Example #1 actually doesn't bother me. I think it's because I'm reading "ABC" as a collective noun, referring to all the staffers (who are the ones who actually have the opinions, did the deeds, and won the awards).

"ABC is expanding our mission" is sort of short for "ABC's executives, staff members, and volunteers are expanding the mission of the organization." Otherwise you start running into the Rufus Xavier Sasparilla problem. [The link is to a "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoon short explaining what pronouns are and how they are useful, using the example of three people with extremely long names.]

I edit a lot of business copy, and I see the "ABC is expanding our mission" construction all the time, so it wouldn't make me blink.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In writing nothing is absolutely unacceptable. Absolutely nothing.

You can switch your POV as often as you wish. But if you want that your readers can follow you, it should be comprehensible, or let us say traceable, for them.

So you have to read your text with the eyes of your audience (or find test readers). The problem with your first sentence:

ABC is in the process of expanding our monitoring and evaluation plan.

That sounds like there is a company ABC out there, which helps you and your company (let's call it XYZ) to expand your evaluation plan. But if I understand you correctly, then ABC and XYZ are one and the same company. Don't confuse your readers (in this case me; I really hate that).

In your second sentence the relation is more obvious to me. That "ours" refers to "ABC" looks like the most logic interpretation. So go with it if you like.

All that said, I guess that keeping the right POV is more crucial in fiction writing than in marketing stuff. I could be wrong, because I try to ignore marketing stuff (Yeah, shame on me).

Load Full (0)