logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Does a response agree or disagree with points they didn't address? Math teacher here. The problem is that I'm teaching a course where students are being asked to write online and then respond

Margaret427 @Margaret427

Posted in: #Exposition

Math teacher here. The problem is that I'm teaching a course where students are being asked to write online and then respond to each other. Suppose a student responds to disagree with a single point from the original post. With this type of writing, is it typically understood that they

a. agree with all the other points in the post
b. disagree with all the other points in the post, or
c. have no opinion (or at least have expressed no opinion).

I remember reading once, somewhere, that it's either choice a or b, but I can't remember which. On the other hand, if I were to apply math logic, it would clearly be c.

P.S. Is this expository writing? That's the tag I added, anyway.

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@BetL639

BetL639 @BetL639

My response would be D: agree with some points and disagree with others. However, it depends on the type of text, the topic, the subject and the purpose. For example, if the original post is an explanation for how to prune roses, that is going to require a completely different response to a letter trying to persuade people to become vegans.

It may be appropriate for a student to pick just one point from an argument and agree or disagree with it.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme