bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: At what point in my story should I get beta readers? I'm writing a book right now. I want to get beta readers for it, but at what point in the story should I get beta readers? Should I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the term 'Beta Reader' gets used for a lot of different things nowadays. In my understanding:

A Beta Reader reads through a later draft to check for enjoyment.

Within the framework of this definition, Beta reading comes quite late but shouldn't be too formal. Grammar and plot errors are only considered in as much as they affect the over-all enjoyment of the piece in question. Beta Readers don't need formal qualifications, but they should match the target readership reasonably well.

Before even beginning to write a first draft some writers employ a Structural editor to give them advice about their concept for story arc, setting and characterisation. This can help to avoid gaping plot holes, inconsistencies and inappropriate content at a later stage.

For early informal feedback during the creation of the first draft, I would look for Writing buddies or Mutual critics these are often other writers with an interest in mutually supporting each other's journey to improved writing craft.

In contrast, formal reviews of later revisions of a piece are best tackled by Line & Copy editors. These champions identify weaknesses in prose and suggest ways to put a polish on the final manuscript.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best