bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I involve my audience with my story? I am writing for a video game, and I have noticed that there is a gap between plot and gameplay. Most times there is a plot to a story, but - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Videogame audience attracting effectiveness may be based on many things that are game-development issues. But there is one question that should be mulled over by all media industry manufacturers. I'll sound it:

Does your product attracts customers by its "mechanical" part or by its "art" part?

Now I'll explain: that mechanical part of mine can be illustrated by movie industry. There are kaboom movies, with bangs and booms on the whole screen and detailed explosions sended to your three-dimensioned eye. That's your Avatar. Let's be serious, this movie is supposed to produce emotions through great visuals, and not by a plot.

But without a plot, it's just a series of explosions, maybe even more boring than a documentary about maize cultivating. So, the plot is needed, but not so much, and it can just be adapted from another media-product. The plot is just a glue here.

But remember another movie from the same director. It contained much "explosion" part, but that part was not the leader. It just supported the big love story. The story.

And I can call both movies work of art. That's not I can say about myriads of less-talented genre films.

The game will retain the same rule. If you're doing something like Crysis, you'd better forget about plot. But if you're doing Silent Hill 2 or Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) you'd better sharpen your story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best