bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : When it's forgivable to use "suddenly" and "all of a sudden?" Unless the answer is never, when is it excusable to use those two? I think someone told me it was a sin for a writer to use - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Unless the answer is never, when is it excusable to use those two? I think someone told me it was a sin for a writer to use them.

I wonder this because one of my favorite writer used it in one of his books:

All of a sudden she pulls her hands away from her chin and places them
on her lap. Two small pale knees show at her hemline.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Smith147

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

When it is sudden: unexpected and fast. Just moving hands from chin to knees wouldn't be too sudden unless she practically slapped her knees. Don't just indicate an action that happened "sourcelessly" from inactive environment. Indicate a fast, rapid and unexpected action. "Suddenly she drew a gun and put it to his head."

"All of sudden" is more of a spoken expression. You can have the characters use it in dialogue. For actual narration, "suddenly" is preferred.

EDIT: Following Lauren's comment. It's not forbidden, it's not a sin, it's just a common crutch, and easy to abuse, cheap. If you're about to use it, think if there's a better way to say it. Not always, but quite often, there is. Also, remember: It's an adverb.

Load Full (0)