bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do I write a proper cover letter? I'm an engineer with a fair knowledge of the English language. I can converse with people in English and write as well, but now I'm interested in learning - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm an engineer with a fair knowledge of the English language. I can converse with people in English and write as well, but now I'm interested in learning to write cover letters and blogs. I see plenty of books on writing letters in different ways; however, I am still left with the following questions:

In what format can I write a cover letter?
Can I include technical terms in a cover letter?
Are cover letters sent through email differently than written letters?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

1. In what format can I write a cover letter?

Read the job posting carefully and see if they have any requirements, number one priority is to follow all instructions exactly.

In general you want to start by stating the position you're applying for. After that you can use any format you'd like if you believe it will be professional and beneficial. There is no set format and I've gotten interviews from single paragraph cover letters, and from lengthy ones consisting of 5 or 6 paragraphs. It is about the structure, content, and reason. Just as any writing - say what needs to be said and remove the rest.

2. Can I include technical terms in a cover letter?

Absolutely. I would be be careful not to repeat your résumé though. If you state in your résumé, "skill in technical term" then there is no reason to repeat yourself in the cover letter.

3. Are cover letters sent through email different from written letters?

In general, not really. Just make sure that any minor changes needed are made. For example in an email you might say somewhere "My résumé is attached in both .pdf and .doc for your convenience." Which wouldn't make sense if mailing it in.

MOST IMPORTANT: Follow any instructions given. If the company specifies to state something, state it. If they ask for a format, use it. If they want a particular filetype, do it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think post by sotondolphin (based on info in the included link) is pretty good, but I have the following disagreements / additions:

Make it mistake-free. [Many hirers' attitude is, "If
they can't avoid mistakes in a cover letter, then it's
guaranteed their work will be even sloppier after I hire them."]
I disagree about the technical terms. Often, HR staff don't read
cover letters or resumes/CVs; they just look for buzzwords. The
right buzzwords get you passed along to the next level.
A corollary to that is: Your cover letter is for the people for/with
whom you'll actually be working. Speak to them, not the HR staff.
If you want the job, then YOU get back to THEM, not the
other way around. [p.s. The same goes for getting a date, or (since this is a writer's site) getting something published. :-) ]

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

A cover Letter has a fixed structure:

The first paragraph describes which position you are applying for and where you found the position.
The second paragraph explains why you think you are suitable for this position.
The third paragraph is set for follow-up actions you are expecting or you may take (such as hearing from you or "I will call you to discuss more details", etc). Also, keep the cover letter to one page.

I reckon you use as few technical terms as possible because the covering letter is usually read by HR staff, they merely need to know your general working experience.
There are significant differences between an email cover letter and one sent by post, in the header and footer sections. In brief, you don't need header information in an email (addressee info, date, sender name and address, etc) and length isn't as big of a deal in an email, although you still should keep an email cover letter short. You may find more info on this page.

Load Full (0)