bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Citing authors already cited in a paper I am writing my undergraduate thesis paper on a topic in which a lot of work has been done. So, it is important to maintain the flow of progress of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am writing my undergraduate thesis paper on a topic in which a lot of work has been done. So, it is important to maintain the flow of progress of my subject of interest through out the years. As, a result I often see a lot of work of many different researchers in the related/relevant work section. It is not possible to go through all of these papers. So, I am trying to paraphrase their work as mentioned in the relevant work section. Now, how am I going to cite the work of the original authors.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

We have different types of citations like APA citation style, MLA citation style and Harvard citation style. These styles can be depends upon the educational institutions.

Source: BuyThesis

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I'm currently in the process of writing a PhD thesis myself. Here in Russia we have a requirement that each PhD work shall include a chapter on the current state of the theme in the scientific community. The aspirant (PhD-to-be) is supposed to read at least some of them (most relevant to his/her particular theme, most cited, etc) and reference them, like in scientific paper. For example:

Most commonly those works address the use of
SLM in optical manipulation to generate multiple traps, but there is
considerable number of researchers who shape laser beam into single trap with
some specific properties. For example, recent study of Rodrigo et al. [1] ad-
dresses shaping of the light field into an arbitrary 3D-curve, producing a sort
of “light rope”. The study contains experimental results of moving
microobjects along those curves due to phase gradient.

On the other hand, hard DOE — reliefs etched in glass or quartz plate — are also
of interest. Huang et al.[2] discovered a way to produce elongated area of high
intensity in the path of a laser beam. There is also a number of work done by
our colleagues in this area.

The point is, you present some quick summary of all known to you works in your field in one chapter, and then, in other chapters of your thesis you're supposed to just mention them:

It was shown ([1]), that microobjects would move in the direction of
the phase gradient, therefore...

And, of course, at the end of thesis you have Bibliography pages in which you state in full all the data on cited works:

[1] J. A. Rodrigo, T. Alieva, E. Abramochkin, and I. Castro,
Opt. Express 21, 20544 (2013).
[2] K. Huang, P. Shi, X.-l. Kang, X. Zhang, and Y.-p. Li,
Opt. Lett. 35, 965 (2010).

There are many styles in which to present the bibliography. If you're not constrained by your institution guidelines, take your pick: Zotero or BibTeX are able to format bibliography list in many styles.

UPD: Here, I updated examples, now they are real citations from my text.

Load Full (0)