bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Are there any corporate publishers that still accept neat handwritten manuscripts? Are there any corporate publishers that still accept neat handwritten manuscripts? What about manuscripts written - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Are there any corporate publishers that still accept neat handwritten manuscripts?

What about manuscripts written in beautiful calligraphy and the author wants to capture the form of the writing (as part of the character) as much as the content of the writing?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Fox6458700

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Somewhere in my father's library he has a book that was not typeset. The scholar who penned it had an incredibly regular and readable hand, and since this book was an index and typos would be a major problem, the decision was made to photograph the manuscript. My father has thousands of books. One was not typeset. Unless your handwriting is almost as good as a linotype, just type it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't believe we have any publishers on here, and I can't say for definite. Still:

They won't be able to scan the manuscript because they'll have very specific formatting and size requirements, as well as the need to be able produce the text in different formats (paper back, hard back, ebook, etc...)

They would have to type up your manuscript and then format it (or more likely tell you to do it.) That's if they accept it. Every submission process I've seen requires very strict formatting. I have seen requests for paper submissions, but they would still end up writing up the document into an electronic format before publishing.

As mentioned in the comments, your best bet is to go for a standard submission and make it clear that you would like to use calligraphy. Steven Hall managed wonderful things with the Raw Shark Texts this way.

As a final note, it would be incredibly hard to read an entire book in calligraphy (impossible for many people) so the chances of that option being taken is likely slim, and as such forcing it on the publisher may well stop them from taking a manuscript they may have taken otherwise.

Load Full (0)