bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : In Science Fiction, how does one do research, but write at the same time? I have posted twice before to writers.stackexchange and I compliment the people who answered me. As a result, I - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I have posted twice before to writers.stackexchange and I compliment the people who answered me.

As a result, I am going to start writing seriously without over reliance on craft books, even if I put out pure crap for awhile. However, I still couldn't help myself from reading one more craft book titled "Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by David Gerrold. Gerrold emphasizes that his book is about coaching, not teaching, and espouses some of the same philosophies as the people who answered my first post ("critique groups...").

Gerrold's book also helps address my second post ("world sketches...") along with the other responders.

To get to my question, Gerrold states that world building requires research. He also advocates setting daily quotas for the number of words written for discipline. If I chose to outline a book to research because I think it will help with the writing, then I am spending time on that project and not writing . Does research time count as writing time, should multiple projects be worked on at the same time to "keep feeding the pipeline", or some other scheme be used to meet quota?

Craig

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nimeshi163

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This depends greatly on the writer. You might need to try a few different methods to find what works for you. For me:

I dedicate four hours every morning. Measuring by word count doesn't work for me because I think different scenes require writing at different speeds, also: research.
I need momentum to write, so I try to never leave more than two days between writing actual words for a story.
If I reach a part that requires specific research I might take one or two days of my writing time to do the research, depending. But never more than two days!
If I need to do longer research for the book as a whole I'll research a little every day outside of my writing time, knowing that a lot of that research will have to be applied in the revision (for example, I'm working on a large scifi world at the moment so while I'm writing I'm reading history books to help with my fictional history).

In the end, I think you have to ask yourself two questions. One, what do I want to make? And two, what do I need to make it? If you think the novel you want to write requires you to do certain research, then that research is just as important as the writing itself. Without it you'll have a novel, but not the one you want.

Load Full (0)