bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it okay to have a character that has the same first or last name as another famous character But not like having the same full name but rather same last name like for example having a - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

But not like having the same full name but rather same last name like for example having a character named Kevin Snow which has the same last name as Game of Thrones character Jon Snow

Other examples would be having same first name such as having a character named Logen Evans which has the same name as Wolverine's actual first name which is Logen as well

Load Full (5)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It depends how distinctive the name is.

If you have a character named "John", well, there are lots of other fictional characters, and real people, named "John" would not bother me at all.

There are plenty of real people named "Snow". I think few people would even notice the similarity, or would only notice it for an instant and promptly move on.

On the other hand if you named a character "Gandalf" or "Sherlock" or "Batman", yeah, lots of readers would notice.

Matching just a first name or just a last name is far more likely to pass unnoticed that matching both.

And no one expects you to study every novel ever written and every movie and TV show ever made to avoid such duplication.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Ordinarily, it would be ok, because first and last names are mostly interchangeable.

An exception would be if one name were highly unusual (basically unique), or strongly associated with something. I wouldn't use the surname "Gatsby," for instance. ("Jay" would be okay.) And as another poster pointed out, no one nowadays is eager to use the name "Adolf," or worse, the man's last name.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The problem you're describing actually has an associated TV Trope: the One Mario Limit (obligatory warning, now that I've added a link). Some names become so strongly associated with one character/person, that any other characters/people with the same name will inevitably be compared with them. Mario is a well-known example: the only other famous Mario I can think of right now is Mario Balotelli, who is in fact nicknamed "Super Mario".

I only believe this trope is a problem if:

There really is only one well-known character/person with that name. Plenty of people are named 'Snow'. I actually have a character myself named 'Snow'. Nobody outside of Game of Thrones (that I know of) is named 'Lannister'.
The person that name is associated with is not a person you want your character to be associated with (@HvG made a similar point in their answer). You'll notice that nobody these days is named "Adolf", for example.
Your character isn't distinct enough. If your character 'Logan Evans' is a friendly, outgoing guy who solves his problems with his sharp wits, nobody will notice he shares his name with Wolverine. If he's a loner who solves his problems with his fists, everyone will notice.

Other than that, I would say this isn't worth worrying about, because there are so many famous people and famous works out there that it's almost impossible to come up with a name that hasn't been used by one of them (unless you're writing a fantasy work like GoT and can just make one up). When naming the protagonist of one of my stories, I plucked the name "Samantha Smith" out of thin air - when I found out that was the name of an actual famous person, rather than change it, I simply had another character make a remark about it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

A lot of names are relatively common and therefore should not be monopolized by a single person.

As for John Snow, the name is not only famous for Game of Thrones, but it is also the name of an important Doctor that made major contributions to the concepts of today’s hygiene.
He was the one who successfully traced the cholera outbreak in London (1854).

Is this a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not…

Wiki-link, John Snow: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow
I would also add a further point to consider.

If you pick a name like Paris (as in Paris Hilton) for a character that is a very serious, hard working lab assistant…. Prior knowledge of the reader might interfere with the picture you’re trying to create about the character.

Hence, one should consider how well known the name is and what that could mean for your readers.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't see any issue. See any novels for that matter - Robert Langdon, the protagonist for Dan Brown's many works is inspired and loosely based on John Langdon, the famous typographer.

Such occurrences are very common and unless you copy everything about a character, I don't see any copyright issues. For that matter, lets hope your Snow has a happy family :)

Load Full (0)