bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What to consider when choosing a pen name for a sci-fi novel? I am writing a sci-fi novel with a female main character. My style is lo-tech, more about character development and a beautiful - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am writing a sci-fi novel with a female main character. My style is lo-tech, more about character development and a beautiful and unusual planet than about descriptions of technology. My target audience is women, and I am a female author. I have already decided to use a pen name, and I don't have any emotional attachment to using a female name, whatever works best.

Given these facts, what should I strive for in creating a pen name? Does a more elegant name lend itself to world-building credibility? Does a unisex name or initials still sell better in the Sci-Fi world than a female name?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would keep it logical and simple. If you make it too wild, people will assume fantasy, or something ridiculous like the Series of unfortunate Events, the author of that being Lemony snicket.
I would take from Jules Verne. Two one syllable names. It flows. I personally would stay away from initials and a last name, because one thinks of J.R.R. Tolkien or J.K. Rowling who are fantasy authors.
At least don't have a J initial. However, one could also think of H.G. Wells.
But mostly you see clear, sophisticated names from sci fi authors. If you decide on a feminine name, I would go with something that sounds classic and smart. Names like Elizabeth, Margaret, Victoria, Blythe. And for last names avoid Z's and X's and anything that sounds too particular to a culture (Like Spanish or Russian names) Easily pronouncable. Unique enough to be the only one and remembered, but plain enough to not make people giggle when they say it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't know about what sells better based on gender but a few things to consider are...
1. Your pen name should be something that is easily remembered. If it is difficult to pronounce or otherwise hard to remember, people are less likely to remember it.
2. It should be something that you like, so that you don't mind other people referring to you with that name.
3. It should be distinct enough that it could not be could not be confused with another author.
4. Personally, as a woman, I wouldn't mind reading more sci-fi (which I enjoy) from a female author.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Choose a male name or use initials only for the first name creating ambiguity. Also if you watch, most folks will go to the middle of the shelf to start browsing. So make sure the last name starts with G-M to get center placement.

Load Full (0)