logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Is it okay to put an inversion in a song lyrics? In the dark alley of my youth, light, it shone from the cloud-ladden sky. I've been listening to the chirping in the trees.

Karen856 @Karen856

Posted in: #FiguresOfSpeech #Lyrics

In the dark alley of my youth,

light, it shone from the cloud-ladden sky.

I've been listening to the chirping in the trees.

Lately, I felt a bit more free.

I am wondering if this is acceptable. I am not sure if this is just called an inversion or there's a more specific technique involved here, but I was wondering if this is an awkward phrasing. I am also wondering if it's ok to put 3 almost unrelated sentences in the same verse in a song.

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Margaret427

Margaret427 @Margaret427

In terms of meaning, emotional impact, etc. how is:

light, it shone from the cloud-laden sky.

different from:

light shone from the cloud-laden sky.

?

If the unusual wording isn't there to affect the audience in some specific way, it simply looks like awkward writing.

The same words could be used like this though:

In the dark alley of my youth: light.
It shone from the cloud-laden sky.

It makes sense and doesn't feel awkward.

If it no longer scans well with your music, well, handling that is what composing and writing are all about.

How about:

a light shone from the cloud-laden sky.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Correia211

Correia211 @Correia211

Reading it aloud like a monologue might sound a bit unnatural, but if it’s going to be put to music I would say it’s completely acceptable and even a good thing to split up a line it that way. It holds tension, yet feels satisfying when we understand what’s being said.
But, if you eventually find you don’t like it, there is an alternative.

light shone from the cloud-ladden sky.

When singing the lyrics, one would just skip a small amount of time before starting that line, to make up for the missing syllable where the word “it” would have been.
As for putting in three unrelated sentences in the same verse, I would say that’s completely fine, as long as they are related to the subject of the song they don’t necessarily need to line up with each other. But ultimately, do whatever feels right, because it is art.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cofer669

Cofer669 @Cofer669

I think the name for what you want to do is Hyperbaton

From a writing and English comprehension standpoint, I don't see a problem with it. The meaning of the sentence is perfectly clear, and unless you are working under some kind of constraint, there's really not much to stop you.

If you're worried about it being good, however, I would consider advice from an
old professor I had-

"All remarkable writing has form and function, and form always must always serve a function."

I can't say I completely agree, but it's something to consider. What is the purpose of this structure?

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme